20080130

Why do people in the South refer to all hispanics as Mexican? My neighbors are hispanic...they are not Mexican. They are from South America.

Also, why do people (regardless of geography) yell at people who aren't white or black to "go home?"

The female shopowner in Roswell who was murdered was hispanic, yes, but by way of Chicago, and not an illegal border crossing. She is just as much of an American as you or I.

I don't understand the rabid anti immigrant sentiment I hear these days. Well, face it, it's not anti immigrant - if you are from Europe, or China, or India, we want you to move right in and become a tax paying citizen. It's anti Hispanic. Why? Do Hispanics commit more crime? Are they Catholics pretending to be Muslim? (explain to me again why we let people from Arabic states who are not escaping death move here?) Does their traditional society that promotes family first somehow threaten all that is America?

I understand the argument that folks have about illegal citizens taking up all our social services. First, why do we have social services? Second - I want to see a breakdown of where the money goes, by country of origin, and by race. And lastly - who cares? Someone will spend it, and isn't it better to be someone who works hard and sends money to his family, than someone who sits on their ass in their trailer trying to cook up some meth?

Here's my opinion. A border fence is anti American, and stupid. If you are here now, you have 90 days to file for amnesty. A felony criminal conviction means you are deported immediately. You cannot separate a parent from their child. We need sweeping change to the way we process immigrants to this country - I know a vast number of people who immigrated here legally, and the process they went through to do so was amazing and really stupid.

Case in point: my friend A is German. She married an American soldier stationed in Germany, and two years later they married movied back here. She applied for a green card. SEVEN YEARS LATER the INS was telling her that they did not believe her marriage was legitimate, even though she was the one working, paying taxes, etc. they questioned the legitimacy of her marriage. They told her they didn't believe they had sex, because she didn't have children. She ended up having to retain an immigration lawyer, and to obtain 35 letters of testimonial from friends, family and bosses to attest to the state of her marriage.

Who hires these people?

Of course, after the dust was settled, her non working, illegitimate child having husband told her he wanted a divorce because "she was a disgrace to his black community"...because she was white.

So I don't get it. I don't understand. Hispanics aren't stealing our jobs. Said it before, will say it again: Americans of any race don't want blue collar or laboring jobs. We can't sustain our lifestyle (I should say, the lifestyle we desire to emulate) on that kind of wage, so we don't do the work. That doesn't mean the demand goes away, it just means that employers have to find other ways to source that labor.

2 comments:

Pandora said...

Being Hispanic I believe that I think you are right. I think most people's way of thinking (anti-Hispanic sentiment) is pure ignorance. Do I believe some people need to be deported? YES! I think from an economic pt of view there should be a cap. However, I think that there needs to be a path to citizenship. Canada for example is (as always) a great example. They do it according to points accrued. For example, people that volunteer get X amount of points. Therefore it creates an incentive for good character. After all, would you rather have a good Hispanic citizen or a convicted felon (American)?

Anonymous said...

This is completely unrelated, but I ran across a cool site today for stargazers. If you haven't seen it, check it out...
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/ataglance