20080123

Taxes

So....dear readers:

Tax time is upon us.

What type of filer are you?

Last minute?

As soon as possible (me)?

When I get around to it?

Extension filer?

I go through this exercise every year:

This year I paid approximately 38K in social services and taxes. That doesn't include property tax - which adds on another $3K. Or sales tax...I couldn't even begin to calcuate that, although it might be an interesting exercise to figure out how much I spend annually and how much tax I pay.

The sad thing is: what did my $38K do? Well, it paid for medications for the elderly and disabled. It paid for the war in Iraq. It paid for....uh....well...hm. I'm not sure it paid for anything else. Oh wait, it paid for the courts to rule in the favor of government and business in terms of eminent domain. In terms of property tax: I pay to have my streets cleaned once a month. I pay for police service (Roswell's finest). I pay for city services with my taxes, although not trash pickup, and pay Fulton for my water. In fact, Roswell is rather inexpensive - I pay city taxes of $370, which funds firemen, police, and other municipal functions.

In theory, a percentage of my approximate tax bill goes to my "retirement" ala social security. I don't count on it. I have a 401K and a pension plan (what good that does if we are sold I don't know).

Taxes suck!

No taxation without representation!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eugh!! You had to mention the T word didn't ya???? *Sulks*

Eliza Doolittle said...

Eliza's tax prep, at your service.
Darling - two words

Turbo Tax. And with not at the Watering Hole plus a whole year of interest on the gaff, you should be OK

Anonymous said...

I certainly hope so!