20080125

In speaking with a friend....

What do you do when you realize your last relationship has "done your head in"? When a simple thing like someone not calling becomes an enormous big deal? Or when someone says "I can't do something tonight, I have to work"? Do you find yourself doubting them because your prior s/o would use that excuse so much you started calling him the Artful Dodger?

It's very hard to divest yourself of that emotional relationship baggage you carry around - especially if you were with someone long enough to create a pattern. Woe to the next person to step up to the plate - you'll be applying the same patterns of behavior you had before to the new one, and how unfair is that?

Unfortunately, everyone does it. Our expectations of relationships are based upon our knowledge, and what we are allowed to see of other people's lives. It ain't all clover!

The thing to constantly remind yourself is that the new person is not the Artful Dodger! It's a whole new world, and you are an explorer. Would you go on a Carribean cruise wearing an anorak because you wore one on your last vacation? Why make a relationship any different?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, I used to try really hard to specifically make sure that my then current company was not paying for mistakes of past company. I wanted to be low maintenance and in most ways I think I was actually no maintenance. I went out of my way to not judge him against another's transgressions. Innocent until proven guilty, right? Now I look back and realize that I should have made him earn the trust that he so graciously chose to shatter when he got engaged to the person he cheated on me with. I will not try for a clean slate next time, whoever that person is will have to earn it. Officially, I am now high-maintenance and no longer concerned about clean slates.