20080118

Pondering again last night on the reason why I find all this upsetting, and I've realized it's because I perceive this as a definite threat to my way of life.

It sounds greedy, certainly, and probably is...but...I always grew up wanting things that would have been classified as luxury items (when I was a kid). Trips abroad. New car. My own house. Quality furniture. Nice jewelry. Coach purses. Money to waste on hair and nails and clothes. Now these items are solidly middle class - but they weren't, and the availablity of said items to the middle class is a relatively new thing.

Simply: I wanted to be (and still want to be) more than I was. I've always used my job as a way to elevate myself, and when I find that threatened, I'm at a bit of a loss.

1 comment:

Pandora said...

Have you started looking for another job (putting applications elsewhere)? You can always turn down a job if you are not laid off... So sorry this is happening. :(