20070507

People Eating Tasty Animals

You know, I really have an issue with PETA (that's People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals). PETA's latest stunt is to have members of their group protest at Princeton - by painting themselves with a blood like substance, mostly naked, laying on things meant to resemble serving trays.

Now, I've nothing against encouraging humane slaughter practices. Pulling cattle out of a truck and running them through a machine that cuts their heads off isn't exactly what I would call humane (it definitely isn't kosher). I agree that there has to be a better way - but I don't agree that we should all quit eating meat. We're meant to be carnivores. Think about it - have you ever met a true vegan who looked even remotely healthy? Man cannot live on salad alone.

But their shock tactics are disturbing and, I think, alienate more people than they change minds. I find their tactics similar to the tactics of the anti abortion folks - they think they can change minds by showing pictures of aborted fetuses, or screaming at women about murder, death and sin.

Does displaying naked people covered in fake blood and saran wrap change anyone's mind? Does throwing vials of blood on someone's fur coat really make a point?

It's all a cheap publicity stunt.

No comments: