20070508

The Lawnmower Saga

In case you haven't noticed by now, I'm a horridly moody person.

So horridly moody that I should really be allowed to be around other people most of the time. Say....I should only be allowed to be around people 1% of the time.

I don't know why, but I've always been this way. As a teenager, Friday night's were the worst. That was "let's take the family out to dinner" night. And every Friday I would be drug along (at this stage I hated Mexican and ONLY liked Chinese) and forced into the family fold. Being the petulant teenager that I was, and being quite snarky, my parents quickly devised a rule for everyone else - pretend Eliza is not there. So I could pout, or read my book, or make nasty comments, and no one would respond to me. To this day, Friday is a night where I do nothing. I won't go out, or have a drink, or go to the movies. Friday night is the night I decompress from the work week, from the rest of life. Friday night is mine and mine alone.

Today I'm just cranky. Insomnia struck again last night. And somehow I was cold, and the dogs stole all the covers. I got up at five and put on my bathrobe and went back to sleep. Ish. And when the alarm went off at six, I turned it off and tried to reset it for seven, but instead I managed to completely F it up and set my clock ahead two hours and turn my alarm off. So I was a bit late this morning. And that stupid cat broke in the front door and Harriett Houdini escaped. And Maddy got in the shower with me - how weird is that? I've never had a dog who liked water so much she'd get in the shower....if I hadn't already washed myself I'd have shampooed her too...but since I was running late the smelly pup had to wait.

Oh!

Word of warning: as much as you love Ryobi for their drills and saws and sanders...do NOT buy one of their lawnmowers. I bought one last October, and used it twice before all my weeds died. Like most homeowners, I stuck it in the garage and forgot about it until March, when my weeds came back with a vengance. I can't crank it. No one can crank it. Oil, gas, spark plug...all cool but no roar of the engine. Not even a sputter! Off to the repair place it goes....for six weeks until they finally finish working on it. Cousin goes to pick it up and test cranks it a few times at the repair shop before loading it into the car and bringing it home.

What happens?

I go to mow the lawn on Sunday and the frickinfrackindumblebumblestupidthingamajigbuffalo thing won't start! For anyone! And no, I did not flood the engine. Cousin tried again yesterday and no dice.

So...I spent $250 on this lawnmower last October. I spent $65 on repair work two weeks ago. I give up. If anyone wants a barely used lawnmower, and is even slightly mechanically inclined (sadly, I am not), please email me and let me know when you want to come get it.

I'm going to spring for the $400 Toro with the electric starter (no more pull cords).

No comments: