20071113

Well, had a bit of a fright today.

Surprise announcement, totally kept under wraps...we did layoffs at work.

I hate layoffs before Christmas. I was laid off once two weeks before Christmas, and it was completely miserable...until I realized that although I'd only been with the company three months I was getting three months of severance. No wonder the company went bankrupt! Ironically, it was the old BellSouth Internet contract that a former friend works on now for Accenture.

Not knowing if I fell in the impacted group, and seeing that the impacts fell at all levels and performance levels in the organizations (learned later in the day)...I had a mini freak out session this morning. What if I did get laid off? It's happened to me twice before, but the luxury of being both young and, well, poor, is that it matters less to lose a job. You have less of a nut to worry about finding...you only need to find that one small acorn to get you through the winter. The older you are, and the more shit you acquire, the worse it is!

So in the way of all true scorpio women, I am sitting at work this morning immediately examining the Worst Case Scenario and wondering where I'd get the cash to file bankruptcy!

So:

I will bust ass and finish school next year.

I will work harder at actual work.

I will finish all my house projects and get out of that house. Or rent it out. Or burn it down. Or SOMETHING! I tried to rent out a room - you should have SEEN what responded to my ad. Conversely, I can stay in it, save my cash, and continue to fix things piecemeal as I've been doing. Siding, siding, siding.

Do I look like a roof monkey to you?

Moderate freak out session. Must be approaching birthday blues.

No comments: