20080321

There are a couple of essential things every young Atlantan must do (of course, being of a certain age and mind set). Things that range from the mundane to the fantastic...and this would have been my wishlist:

1. Prom in the Egyptian Ballroom at the Fox Theater. I have forever been in love with the decor at the Fox, and I can't think of a more wonderous way to pass an evening. There aren't any public dance balls anymore (and more's the pity)...so the only way I can think of to get to dress up to the nines and go dancing is prom! The only downside would be the crappy gosh darn modern music. If you can call it that. Yo Yo Yo.

2. Tea in Mary Mac's, while wearing a large straw hat and white gloves. Just for the hell of it.

3. Strolling in Piedmont Park during the Dogwood Festival (now, sadly, due to the drought and other political factors, no longer held there).

4. You must attend one concert at Chastain with a crowd so obnoxious you fail to hear the performer, and you must leave quite angry at having spent $70 for "lawn", only to have a bunch of elite assholes with veneers and implants drinking sub par Chardonnay out of plastic stemware in the tableseats ruin your evening.

5. If you are here for Christmas, you might have the particular delight of hearing our Atlanta Symphony's annual Christmas Concert, which is a treat. They also perform Handel's Messiah (for two night's) and one or two other seasonal type programs. People actually sing and have a good time, while listening to a live orchestra - something no one really does anymore. Oh, they clap in the wrong places (you do not clap in the middle of a number, any number. You clap at the END people), but at least they mean well. The symphony is underrated but really very good. Worth the money, definitely. The only time I have ever heard a misstep (and have been there quite a bit) was related to a medical emergency, so very excuseable).

6. Thanksgiving - ignore the television hoopla, and head to Lenox Mall for what is now the lighting of the Big Tree (as well real Atlantans call it) at Macy's. When Macy's was Rich's, and there was The Big Rich's Downtown with The Trolley, Rich's used to put a big tree up (I believe on the roof) every year. They had this little ole ride called the Pink Pig, who has been reincarnated at Lenox as Priscilla, The Pink Pig. The Old Pink Pig used to ride around the roof on a rail, and the roof had the tree, and a bunch of farm animals and little farm and country scenes. Pretty cool for us city kids. Plus, you could go to the bakery and get a sugar cookie. And once in a great while, a caramel cake. Or eat at the deli, which was the big treat. A deli! Remember when you didn't know what in the holy hell that was???? Anyway, it's not the same, but it's still fun. Thanksgiving Night, Lenox Mall.

7. I've never gone, not being a "New Years out with the drunks" kind of girl, but the big gay Peach Drop at Underground could be entertaining. I prefer to sit at home and watch the Big Gay Peach Drop in Conjunction with the Even Bigger Big Gay Crystal Ball Drop in Times Square. Seriously, what's up with the Big Ball Dropping thing as the New Years Theme?

8. Opening night of an exhibit at the High Museum of Art is fun. I have been to a few (Wyeth, Picasso, Monet) and being in a crowd of people who actually appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into doing something so intricate and detailed and gaaahhh! I can't even imagine by hand! Sculpture blows my mind, by the way. Everytime I look at a piece of marble that has been transformed into a human, I'm flabbergasted. I can't fathom how you can take rock and make it into man. I can't. The High itself is a nice open space, that's full of light although unfortunately sound carries quite well. And they have a nice permanent collection. Out of all the Museums I've been to, so far the Met is still the best, but...the High is still pretty nice.

9. I'm a big fan of any of the Chattahoochee River Parks. Any of them - Sope Creek and Cochran Shoals are the best. My grandparents lived off of Azalea forever, and so I'm partial to that area and to the Nature Center as well. Drop in a canoe at any of the drop points and take an early Sunday morning paddle down the river. It gives you an entirely different perspective on the city.

10. Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield Park - I've always tackled this park from behind. In fact, I've only gone up to the top of the mountain proper once, as a kid. I've always come from the back - Illinois, Chatham, Pigeon Ridge, Little Kennesaw (usually I realize I'm starving at that point, and start thinking of the great BBQ place I know of down the road, and head back). Walking through the actual forest and crossing the creek before you hit the bend in the trail that leads to the first of several big clearings that could have been homesteads or fields but were definitely scenes of struggle. Very, very cool. Little Kennesaw's ascent is a bit rocky in places, but fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've hit one thing on the list!

I need to get out more :(

Anonymous said...

Re. #1 You might check out the costumed annual Mardi Gras ball at the Gwinnett Civic Center.