20080305

Gay marriage. Doing a bit of reading this morning regarding California's Big Question:

What makes marriage so special? (as they consider leveling the marriage playing field, so to speak, and encouraging growth in the fields of divorce and estate planning law)

My framework is this: marriage is a religious institution, yet one cannot get married without a license, which belongs to the state. I am not sure gays will ever win acceptance from most organized religions, so I don't think you are going to see Bob and John getting married in St. Brigid's....but why can't Bob and John go get a license, and be registered as a union in the eyes of the law?

Why not?

1 comment:

Princess Fred said...

Read the article on Oprah.com that I referenced regarding Halle Berry and autor Gary Zulav's "spiritual union." You know me - all anti-marriage now (especially after my crying jag tonight). I'm thinking that as much as couples should have the right to that piece of paper, can't we just figure out a way to recognize different types of partnerships? If I never want to get married in the future, but commit myself to someone, am I forever destined to file my tax return as "Single" and not get to take advantage of the "Married" tax breaks?