20080319

Good morning. Today will find me going to my worthless pcp to badger him/her into giving me a referral to a neurologist.

Let's contemplate the concept of a PCP - a Primary Care Physician. There are twelve doctors in that office, about 8 Registered Nurses, and a handful of other staff. I have yet to see the same doctor, or the same RN, in all the times I have been to that office. So....who is my primary care physician?

My OB/GYN.

Like most American women.

When I was a child, I had a doctor. I saw ONE doctor throughout most of my childhood. One person. Maybe three of four nurses. I think (mom will tell me if I'm wrong on this) that the same doctor delivered all grandmom's children, and the same doctor delivered all mom's kids (is that Dr. Coppage?). Family care - a lost art. Now it's about insurance, and shoving patients in and out as fast as humanly possible.

I have found a good doctor or two. My eyeball doctor is great - he has taken wonderful care of my eyeballs over the years, has allowed me to pay him over time when he knew I didn't have any money, didn't charge me the full price when Maddy ate my glasses and I had to replace the pair I just bought...he's a nice guy. I know all the people in his office. Just like I know all the ladies at the ob/gyn. All nice people, and they all care. It's a career, not a job, and they all at least act like they truly want to help people.

Whatever happened to the single doctor, single practice concept? Am I just too old fashioned, to want what would now be considered a "boutique" doctor?

No comments: